I created this Cabbage Salad with Mint and Avocado to use-up some odds and ends of veggies and herbs I had in our veggie drawer. And I really like how it turned out! We’ve eaten this as our Veggie Snack each day, but you could make one recipe of this and take it to a potluck or picnic.
Yield: 10 servings
- 1/2 head of cabbage (mine was originally a large green head of cabbage), sliced thin
- 1 bulb fennel, sliced thin
- 12 colorful mini bell peppers, seeded and sliced thin (alternatively, 1 thinly sliced red or orange bell pepper)
- 1/2 of a red onion, small diced
- 20 leaves of mint, chopped
- 20 leaves of parsley, chopped
Toss all ingredients in a large mixing bowl, to combine.
Make ahead: pre-portion into 10 containers with covers. Each day, add 1/8 of an avocado to each container and a splash of apple cider vinegar or white balsamic vinegar (or coconut vinegar, or lemon or lime juice … whatever you like), as well as a little salt and pepper. Stir to combine. We find that just the vinegar is flavorful enough for us, but if you prefer a vinaigrette with oil, by all means add that, instead.
Make and serve immediately: add 2 avocados, cubed, to the cabbage-mixture and stir to combine. Add a few splashes of apple cider or white balsamic vinegar (or coconut vinegar, or the juice of a lemon or lime … whatever you like), and 1/2 a teaspoon of salt and several grinds of freshly cracked pepper. Stir to combine, and taste and adjust seasoning as you like.