Beet and Orange Salad
- 1 pound of whole beets
Preheat oven to 375-F.
Coat beets lightly with oil. Wrap beets in aluminum foil, place on a baking sheet, and roast in the oven until cooked through, approximately 45 to 60 minutes.
Remove from the oven, let cool for 10 minutes, and then peel and slice into 1/4-inch thick slices.
While beets are roasting, make vinaigrette. You want flavors to “marry” before dressing the salad.
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 garlic cloves
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup sherry vinegar
Whisk together ingredients above in a medium size bowl.
- 1/2 cup olive oil
Stream oil slowly into vinegar-spice mixture, whisking constantly to make emulsion. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Vinaigrette should be on the tart-side.
- 1.5 pounds oranges. I used Cara Cara Oranges from Trader Joes, but I think a mixture of Valencia Oranges and Blood Oranges would be lovely, as well.
Peel oranges, removing all white pith, and slice into rounds.
“Shingle” alternating slices of beets and oranges on serving platter, and drizzle 1/4 of the vinaigrette over. Eyeball this measurement — you want a fair amount of dressing glistening on the slices of beets and oranges:
- 1/2 bulb fennel, shaved on a mandolin or sliced very thinly
- 1/2 small red onion, shaved on a mandolin or sliced very thinly
- 1/2 cup toasted almonds, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro leaves (from approximately 1/2 a bunch)
- 12 Spanish green olives stuffed with pimentos, sliced
Combine ingredients in a small bowl, and add 1/3 of the remaining vinaigrette. Taste a spoonful that includes all components, and add salt and pepper, if needed. Add more vinaigrette, if desired.**
Mound salad in center of beets and oranges, and sprinkle a few more cilantro leaves, as garnish:
*For a less glamorous presentation, you can combine ingredients in small tupperware containers, and shake to distribute all flavors. Enjoy as a Veggie/Fruit Snack.
**Leftover vinaigrette keeps in the refrigerator for two weeks. I had it over shredded carrots, cubed avocado and thinly sliced red onion … and licked the bowl clean! 🙂