Brown Rice Chickpea Veggie Burgers with Lemon and Tahini:
Yield: 9 patties
- Make 1 cup of brown rice, according to package directions. I used brown basmati rice, so I rinsed the rice and cooked it in 2 cups of Brita-filtered water + 1/2 teaspoon of salt for 40 minutes. Then drained andy excess water, and covered the pot to allow the cooked rice to sit for 5 minutes. I then fluffed with a fork and spread the rice in a large mixing bowl to cool.
- 2 cans of chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
Drain, rinse and add to rice. Stir to combine.
- 1/3 cup tahini
- 1/4 cup lemon juice (or juice of 1 large lemon)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
Add to brown rice-chickpea mixture and stir to combine.
- 1/3 cup coconut flour (I get this at Trader Joe’s and use this because Mr. Batch and I are trying to avoid gluten. If you try this with other binding flours, please let me know your results. Coconut flour is particularly high in fiber, so if you use alternates, you may need to add 1/2 cup)
Add to brown rice-chickpea mixture and stir to combine. Form into patties and place on parchment (or foil) lined baking sheet. Tip: Wet hands will ease the formation of the patties.
Bake at 350 F for 30 minutes, rotating pan 180-degrees, halfway through (to allow for even cooking, in case your oven has hot spots).
I kept five patties refrigerated, then froze the other four to use another week.
Lemon Tahini Dressing
Yield: 9 servings (approx 1-1/2 teaspoon-size servings)
- 2 Tablespoons tahini
- 1/4 cup lemon juice ( or juice of 1 large lemon)
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- several grinds of freshly cracked black pepper
Whisk ingredients together in bowl.
I served the patties over a simple salad of wild rice and edamame, dressed with lemon and tahini, with steamed brussels sprouts and broccolini: