Italian Veggie Burgers with White Beans and Pesto
Yield: 9 burgers
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cook 1 cup of quinoa (Cook according to package directions. I brought 2 cups of salted water to a boil, added 1 cup of thoroughly rinsed quinoa, and simmered, covered, for 12 minutes. I tasted it to make sure it was tender, then drained any excess water. Then allowed it to sit, covered, for 5 minutes. Then fluffed with a fork.)
- 2 cans of white beans, drained & rinsed
- 3 hearty Tablespoons of pesto (Mine was homemade last summer and frozen. I did not add any cheese before freezing.)
- Optional: 1/2 cup shredded Asiago or Parmesan cheese
Stir all ingredients above together in a large bowl.
Remove 1/3 of mixture and puree in a cuisinart/food processor. Add pureed portion back to large bowl and stir to combine.
*Taste the mixture at this point to see if you would like to add more pesto, cheese or salt.
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup coconut flour (I use this to avoid gluten. If you are not avoiding gluten, you could use all-purpose flour. Perhaps try increasing the quantity to 1/2 cup — coconut flour is quite fibrous and absorbs a lot of moisture)
Add to the ingredients in the large bowl and stir to combine.
Shape into patties, and place on a parchment (or foil) lined baking sheet. Tip: Wet hands will help with forming the patties.
Bake at 350F for 30 minutes, rotating pan 180-degrees after 15 minutes (for even-cooking in case there are hot spots in your oven).
I kept 5 of these in the refrigerator and froze the rest, for use another week.
I served these over a bed of vegetables that I roasted with olive oil and Italian herb mix (zucchini, yellow onion, mushrooms and cherry tomatoes). For even more fiber & nutrition, I steamed some brussels sprouts and added them to the mixture of veggies.